First Methodist Houston is a multicultural church where the past and future intersect and its history dates to 1839. The first church building was constructed on Texas Avenue at the current site of the Houston Chronicle Building. In 1910, the congregation moved to the corner of Main and Clay streets. Then, in 1993, the church added a second campus on the west side of the city (Westchase), which offers additional worship opportunities, a school, and a recreational center complete with swimming pools and softball fields. Additionally, over the years the church has founded Wesley Community Center, Clarewood House Retirement Home, First Choice Media Ministry, and Christian Alliance Ministry to better serve the larger Houston area.